Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Thrill Is Gone

Not much to report lately except that I am craving Mexican food and an air-conditioner, and possibly a margarita or five. I'm not sure if the heat is getting to me or if it is the smog, but my attitude has taken a significant turn for the worse. Although, I think the smog and the debris in the air does make for very pretty sunsets. Things are going very well in the library and I have absolutely no complaints in the research department. The archive that I was working in even sent me a pdf of the documents that I requested copies of. This was especially nice considering that they had officially stopped pulling documents and files for researchers at the end of last week.

I haven't visited any other museums or parks yet because of my time in the library and the heat. I still have 2 more journals to go through and only 7 days left as the music department of the state library is now closed on weekends. Budgets are tight here too and the summer months are a good time to cut back on spending, but at least it doesn't appear as if the Russian government is headed towards a shutdown any time soon......

I did find the Russian/European version of Sam's today. Well, it wasn't exactly the same thing but it is more than a supermarket - it is a hypermarket, or gipermarket as it is called in Russian. The store is called Carousel and it is huge. And yet, despite the size of it, there were no hot peppers to be found, which means, alas, no salsa. They did have an incredible wine section though and I will be going back to buy Hungarian Tokaj. I am very excited about this since I've been reading about this Hungarian specialty for about 4 years now and I have yet to try it since Hungary does not export it to the United States. From what I have read it is slightly sweet and spicy. I will post my "tasting notes" after I have tried it. Maybe I'll have it with black beans and rice, if I can ever find hot peppers.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment