Monday, July 18, 2011

Havana Daydreamin'

After spending 5 hours in the library reading today I finally made my way to Novodevichy Convent, something I did not do the last time that I was in Moscow. It is a beautiful place with several churches, including the Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk. It was founded in the 1500s and at this point I realize that maybe I should have titled my blog "a tour of Moscow's churches and religious sights," since that seems to be what I do in addition to reading Soviet journals and documents. Its an interesting contrast.

While I was walking around the outside of the walls today along the river, a couple of what appeared to be professional photographers took my picture. At first I thought I was in their frame, so I moved. But then I realized that the camera was following me - it was pretty strange. When I got close to them and saw all of their equipment I questioned why they were taking my picture. After all, there were many beautiful Russian women walking around in nice dresses and 5 inch heels. I was told that I made for a very interesting shot considering my Rolling Stones t-shirt, sunglasses, holey jeans, and sandals - especially at a convent. It was odd for me considering the many random photos of people that I have taken. I'm not used to being the subject! But, they were very friendly and nice and it made for a good laugh.

It is very hot here and I can't help but think of the ocean, the Gulf, or really, any large body of saltwater. It feels like a Florida summer (without air-conditioning) - not something you expect to experience in Moscow. The high on Friday is 91, and I know it is hotter in Florida, but here when you are surrounded by so much concrete and pavement there seems to be no relief from the heat, except for escaping to parks outside the city and along the river.

That's all for now - below are pictures of the convent and a couple of views from my apartment as the sun was going down, if you can actually call it that. It is still light for quite a long time here, at least until 10:30 pm.






Wedding locks that couples leave on the bridge when they get married









   

No comments:

Post a Comment