Saturday, July 2, 2011

American Girl

I successfully navigated the library today and managed to avoid that dreaded word, devushka! Unfortunately the journals that I have requested, Krokodil, Sovetskaia Muzyka, and Muzykalnaia Zhizn have not yet been delivered. These are the journals that I planned to study while waiting for the archival materials to arrive / archive to reopen after the international conference / cleaning days. I have been assured that the journals will arrive, so I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Nevertheless, I did actually check books out of the library today and was not tackled on the way out by a guard, so I celebrated with some medovukha. It is a fermented drink made from honey that is sort of like mead, but completely different. I found it at Yasileev's Food Hall, which is this glorious grocery store filled with all kinds of chocolates, liquors, wines, and other gastronomical delights. And not only are there lots of wonderful foods to buy, but the store is also beautiful with crystal chandeliers and stained glass windows. Not your average shopping experience!

One of my other tasks today was to find an umbrella, which might seem pretty mundane, but in a city like Moscow such a search can be quite an adventure. The first store that I stopped at had lots of lovely umbrellas with nice patterns, long wooden handles, and matching bags. I picked one of them up and the sales girl informed me that it was 1900 rubles - nearly $70! After seeing the shocked look on my face she began to explain that it was Italian and made very well. I should hope so! For $70 it should be made of gold. Needless to say, I did not purchase an "italianskii zontik." After wandering around a bit I finally found one in an underground street crossing (perexod) for around $5. Although it is clearly not made as well, it does keep most of the rain off of my head and I still have rubles in my pocket.

I also decided to start exploring Moscow's synagogues and made my way down to Chabad Lubavitch, which is a couple of blocks past Pushkin Square. The synagogue is on a side street in a residential neighborhood that most likely would have been quiet were it not for the men racing around in Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porches, and even a new Chevy Camaro. It was like an episode of Top Gear. Again, more things one does not expect to see in Moscow! After the Camaro flew by I overheard a couple of men arguing about what type of car it was. Part of me wanted to tell them, but I decided I should just keep to myself and keep quiet - for once. Also of interest near the synagogue is one of Moscow's top jazz clubs, Club Forte.

That is all for now. I hope everyone has a nice 4th of July weekend.

medovukha

inside the metro at Barrikadnaia Station



synagogue - Chabad Lubavitch



  

No comments:

Post a Comment